Internet of Things for Entrepreneurs
This is a course designed by Clement Levallois, Associate Professor and Chaired Segeco Professor in data valuation at em lyon business school.
Follow this course to learn how to make a connected object and why the Internet of things is such a big deal today for entrepreneurs, industries and consumers.Discover the objects that students from emlyon created in 2017:
“Internet of things” (IoT) is the network connecting tiny pieces of electronics used by consumers and industries to collect data in their environment to provide services: from connected bracelets measuring speed and pulse for runners, to all kind of sensors (GPS, humidity, shock, temperature…) in every step of logistics and supply chains.
The objective of this course is to provide you with the key stakes of IoT in the coming years, so that you can innovate and participate in projects in this domain.
To do so, you will create your own object: an efficient way to picture what IoT can do in practice. Then, a series of experts will provide video lectures on the role played by IoT in their industries.
The course includes videos, online exercises, and the creation of a concrete connected object in the Makers' Lab of the school.
Make an object
We will build an object that shows on screen the air quality (the level of pollution) in your city, in real time. You will need about 35$ to buy the material for this object, and access to a soldering equipment.
Get the broader picture
After creating an object, you will learn through video lectures why connected objects are such a big deal today: IoT is projected to be a 267 billion dollars market by 2020!
Table of content
- Syllabus of the course at emlyon business school ( pdf)
- Introduction to the course ( video, web, slides, pdf, source)
- Definitions of Internet of Things / connected & smart objects ( web, slides, pdf, source)
- Where to buy the components for this course? ( video, web, slides, pdf)
2. Making a connected object: displaying the air quality / pollution near you
- What kind of board are we going to use? ( video, web page, slides, pdf, source)
- How to solder pins ( video from the course, another clear video)
How to install the Arduino IDE (
- link to download page: here
How to adapt the Arduino IDE to a custom board (
- link to instruction page: here
How to install libraries in the Arduino IDE
Before you watch the video, please read these important instructions.
- link to instruction page mentioned in the video: here
How to write code to get the air quality index on screen (
- the code to download (updated!!) (zip file)
- explanation of the code part 1 ( web page, pdf, source)
- explanation of the code part 2 ( web page, pdf, source)
Frequently Asked Questions (
3. What is the business relevance of IoT?
- Essential readings
- The 7 roads to data-driven value creation ( web page, slides, pdf, source)
- 3 types of business models centered on data ( web page, slides, pdf, source)
- Case study: Nokia and an IoT-centric business model ( web page, slides, pdf, source)
- Essential readings
IoT in manufacturing and logistics by Julien Calviac, IoT Group Strategy at 3DS (video).
IoT and security by Romain Willmann (video).