Internet of Things for Entrepreneurs
This is a course with video lectures and other documents teaching how to make a connected object and why the Internet of things is such a big deal today for entrepreneurs, industries and consumers. “Internet of Things” (IoT) and connected objects are the tiny pieces of electronics used by consumers and industries to collect data in their environment to provide services: from connected bracelets measuring speed and pulse for runners, to all kind of sensors (GPS, humidity, shock, temperature…) in every step of logistics and supply chains.
The objective of this course is to provide you with the key stakes of IoT in the coming years, so that you can innovate and participate in projects in this domain.
To do so, you will create your own object: an efficient way to picture what IoT can do in practice. Then, a series of experts will provide video lectures on the role played by IoT in their industries. The course includes videos, online exercises, and the creation of a concrete connected object in the Makers Lab of the school.
Make an object
We will build an object that shows on screen the air quality (the level of pollution) in your city, in real time. You will need about 35$ to buy the material for this object, and access to a soldering equipment.
Get the broader picture
After creating an object, you will learn through video lectures why connected objects are such a big deal today: IoT is projected to be a 267 billion dollars market by 2020!
Table of content
- Syllabus of the course at emlyon business school ( pdf)
- Introduction to the course ( Youtube video, web, slides, pdf, source)
- Definitions of Internet of Things / connected objects / smart objects ( web, slides, pdf, source)
- Where to buy the components for this course? ( video, web, slides, pdf, source)
- What kind of board are we going to use? ( video, web page, slides, pdf, source)
- How to do soldering ( video, web page, slides, pdf, source)
- How to install the Arduino IDE ( video, web page, slides, pdf, source)
- How to adapt the Arduino IDE to a custom board ( video, web page, slides, pdf, source)
- How to install libraries in the Arduino IDE ( video, web page, slides, pdf, source)
- How to write code to get the air quality index on screen ( video, web page, slides, pdf, source)