This course is an introduction to coding and programming through a simple project: creating a mobile app that runs natively on Android and iOS smartphones.
This course is open: all the lecture materials are free and can be reused, under a Creative Commons licence.
Tutorials available in web pages, pdf, slides, and ebooks!
The course was originally made of videos and Word documents. They are now written with asciidoc, a format which makes it easy to convert these tutorials in slides, web pages, and pdf documents. Basically, sharing and collaborating online becomes easier, without being blocked by a proprietary file format.
Questions and answers? Using Github issuesI moved to Github as a way to handle Q & As. Read the lesson about how to use it!
- Module 1. Setup of NetBeans and Codename One: the tools we need to create a first app
- Installing NetBeans and the "Codename One" plugin if you have a Mac computer. ( web page, slides, pdf, source)
- Installing NetBeans and the "Codename One" plugin if you have a PC. ( web page, slides, pdf, source)
- Checking for updates of the "Codename One" plugin ( web page, slides, pdf, source)
- Creating a project and previewing your first app ( web page, slides, pdf, source)
- Module 2. Essential notions of software development and creation of screens (aka "Forms") for the app
- Module 3. Designing the app: styling and layout of the user interface