Big data for business
This course provides to students in management an understanding of technical concepts which are now at the center of the business world: APIs, data visualization, machine learning, network analysis, text mining, big data, data protection, etc.
In terms of professional goals, after this course you will be equipped for positions where you need to have a broad view and understanding of the stakes of big data for the business.
This course offers a broad view on many topics in data science which are each covered more in depth in other courses at emlyon business school: see full list here.
9 modules covering important topics in big data
Each module consists in lecture materials, a bibliography and a quiz. Some modules have a accompanying video. Check the table of content below!
In 2017/2018, the group project consists in creating a collective podcast. Each group of student will identify an expert in a domain of big data to interview and will record an episode.
Table of content
- Week 1. What is "data", "big data" and how is it relevant to business?
- Week 2. Data integration and APIs
- Week 3. CRMs and segmentation / clustering
- Week 4. Primers on network analysis and text mining
Essential readings on text mining
Essential readings on network analysis
- A primer on network analysis ( web page, slides, pdf, source)
- A primer on text mining ( web page, slides, pdf, source)
- Essential readings on text mining
- Week 5. Data-driven value creation and business models based on data
- Week 6. IoT, personalization and localization
- a. The business relevance of IoT
- Essential readings on IoT
- Definitions of Internet of Things / connected & smart objects ( web, slides, pdf, source)
- IoT and security by Romain Willmann (video).